Monday, March 19, 2007

Wincing is One Thing I'm Not Doing

It's been awhile, I know, but I have finally come up with a new recommendation - Wincing the Night Away, by The Shins. It is more great indie rock. James Mercer is an intriguing songwriter - the music is constantly fabulous, and the lyrics are interesting, though sometimes they seem nonsensical (though that may just be my thick skull not letting the real meaning in). This album features some poppy work, like "Phantom Limb," some funky, like "Sea Legs," and almost all works of art, such as the water-drip sound that resonates like a steel drum on "Red Rabbits". A few tracks get some instrumental assistance from The Decemberists' Chris Funk. All in all, this is a really good album that I haven't been able to stop playing for awhile. I've also heard it isn't nearly as good as "Oh, Inverted World." Well, if this is mediocre, I really need to get a copy of "Oh, Inverted World"!

On a related note, I finally watched "Garden State" this weekend (this movie helped The Shins gain popularity, for those who don't know). I cannot seem to explain why, but that movie was amazing. Go watch it, if you haven't already.

Peace,

Alphadork

No comments: