Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Death of the Album?

In a recent New York Times article, The Album, a Commodity in Disfavor, the future of the album is discussed. With the vast majority of music now being downloaded in the form of single songs, music labels are beginning to sign acts to record one or two songs, not full albums.

I have trouble thinking that iTunes and digital music overall with transform the industry so much that labels will stop releasing albums. I certainly hope it doesn't. That is one area in which I do not feel so willing to accept change. I choose to be old-school; I like my albums; I like my tangible CDs, the inserts, the artwork, the hidden tracks.

It is no doubt that these technological advances have changed the industry. However, when you really think about it, you realize that the changes are to the pop sector of the industry, where the "young people" are, for whom everything is digital. One of my initial concerns was, "what about artists who build around an entire album, who tell a story?" I realize I answered my own question, they are artists - they will still release an album. They aren't pop acts, meant to push cookie-cutter music and merchandise down the throats of the country's youth - those will be the digital acts, because it is "hip," and they have to be too.

My next question is, how can an act signed for one or two songs ever make it? If one of those songs goes big, it's not like they can tour; who will go to a one- or two-song concert? I guess that may all change as well - concerts will become a display of 5-10 different pop groups.

Well, it's something to watch.

Peace,

Alphadork

1 comment:

"""Hello, My name is Prashant and I'm contacting from bedpage (www.bedpage.com) - we are a top classified advertiser. I found your website and offer a possible partnership with us that will help you w said...

"""Hello,
My name is Prashant and I'm contacting from bedpage (www.bedpage.com) - we are a top classified advertiser. I found your website and offer a possible partnership with us that will help you with increasing revenue from your web. We already work with similar webs like yours: these publishers earn great additional revenue with us.

We would like to place a dofollow link on your website from where we can get the traffic. We ae person responsible for your site  monetization so we can discuss some details and see if we could work together.
re willing to pay you in bitcoins.

We provide customised solutions for each partner, so I would like to get in touch with th
Best regards


--
Prashant
Traffic Acquisition
bedpage

Email: bpmediabuyer@gmail.com
Skype: prashushinde7 
Website: www.bedpage.com

"""