Wednesday, September 27, 2006

...That's Why I Don't Listen to the Radio!

I really don't listen to the radio much. I know, I miss out on great new music that way (actually, that's why I have Allmusic.com), but I really hate commercials. CD players are great...I love a constant torrent of music of my choosing. Sometimes I carpool to a client's office and get to listen to the driver's radio station of choice. Right now is a really bad time with the onslaught of campaign ads, especially the attack ads.

Are people really swayed by those? They ALWAYS take things out of context, leaving out pertinant information about the other candidate, therefore unfairly representing their position on an issue and misleading potential voters. I heard a GOP-funded ad yesterday, and I pity the person who takes it at face value. Using a few more words than I, it said McCaskill will take away your guns and kill your babies, vote Talent. Another takes a factual mistake made by one of her campaign employees and represents it as McCaskill having a chronic lying problem, saying "typical McCaskill."

I am really ashamed that we are so set on attacking one another. When did the definition of "fair and balanced" become so skewed?

Wow, that was a tangent...back to CDs and radio: I recently purchased Live's new album, Songs From Black Mountain. I've always been a big fan, so I had to get it, despite the fact that their albums have felt a little less than 'their best' lately. It's a good album; mostly the same familiar musical formula, but far more laid-back, mellow, and mature than previous releases. It is an enjoyable album worth giving a listen. Read about it at Allmusic.com, or buy it at Amazon.

Peace,

Alphadork

No comments: