Friday, February 17, 2006

Open Forum: Discussing Salaries at Work

I have been thinking lately about the ethics and legality of discussing salaries with coworkers. I have especially been thinking about it lately, as I recently received a less than expected raise and feel as though I am underpaid. I often wonder if my coworkers are getting the same treatment, and if not, why? I want to talk to them about it, but can I? Should I?

The truth is that I have never been sure. I could certainly argue one way or the other. Every employer I have worked under has made known, expressly or implicitly, that they frown upon such discussions amongst their staff. Well, I did a bit of research and found that there is precedent protecting coworkers' rights to such discussion: Silencing Salary Talk Can Lead to Trouble | workforce.com (free membership required to read.) From this article:
Answer: Salary discussions are concerted protected activity.
Both actions will likely be considered unlawful under the National Labor Relations Act (NLRA). Wage discussions among coworkers are generally considered to be concerted and protected activity under the NLRA. So under most circumstances management cannot prohibit salary discussions, or threaten, discharge or discipline for revealing salaries.
The "both actions" referred to was a manager telling staff that discussion of salaries is forbidden and subjects them to discipline and drafting a policy stating such.

That is somewhat comforting to read. Part of the problem is that many employers do not realize this and will still fire you for discussing salaries. The good news is that you can sue for wrongful termination and likely win, but that's quite a hassle.

I feel that discussion of salaries is a good thing. When the company holds a monopoly on the information, they can pay people whatever they want to, which can lead to women being paid less that their male peers and similar improprieties. Discussing salaries allows one to know where they stand in relation to their peers. We are supposed to get raises based on our merit, right? So, why not discuss salaries so you know how your performance/merit rates compared to your coworkers. That helps to reinforce the need to improve oneself, or it lets you know when you are being screwed.

So, why not discuss? I guess some people may use the information in an unprofessional manner and/or not think rationally about it. It seems to me that if we were open and willing (both employees and employers) to communicate such things, individuals would handle it in a much more appropriate manner. Overall, I feel that it would lead to much more fair and equal salary standards, so I think the benefits far outweigh the cons.

So, I've said my piece. I open the floor to comments, opinions, suggestions. Am I wrong? Convince me...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Could you be terminated for discussing a salary with someone who doesn't work for the company. For example, if you are out at a bar with your best friend and you say "Holly makes 125k a year and I only make 100k, that sucks...", can you be terminated if it somehow got back to your co-worker that it was being disussed??

Anonymous said...

Who knows where to download XRumer 5.0 Palladium?
Help, please. All recommend this program to effectively advertise on the Internet, this is the best program!