Friday, February 24, 2006

Morrissey Questioned as Security Threat

From Contactmusic.com through a headline on The Raw Story:

Singer Morrissey was quizzed by the FBI and British intelligence after speaking out against the American and British governments.


They always seem to be working on ways to chip away at our first amendment rights (or at least intimidate us out of using them). Morrissey's response:

"I don't belong to any political groups, I don't really say anything unless I'm asked directly and I don't even demonstrate in public. I always assume that so-called authoritarian figures just assume that pop/rock music is slightly insane and an untouchable platform for the working classes to stand up and say something noticeable.

"My view is that neither England or America are democratic societies. You can't really speak your mind and if you do you're investigated."


I honestly don't think of Morrissey when I think about threats to our national security. My first thought is usually that guy currently "running" this country. Also, when it comes to questioning musicians they don't like, why haven't they brought these guys in?:

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You really need to check out the story about the guy who was suspected as a terrorist for singing "London Calling" by the Clash. S.