Tuesday, September 06, 2005

Blunt Calls Special Session at Taxpayers' Expense to Appease Special Interests

Legislators to consider abortion law

Young Republican. Same old tricks.

Senator Joan Bray of St. Louis has the right idea. The rest of you need to see a doctor about your tunnel vision. If you want to reduce abortions, banning them won't help much (though it will certainly help increase the number of injuries due to attempted abortions). To reduce abortions, reduce the number of unwanted pregnancies. It is absolutely hypocritical to ban abortions, and at the same time, eliminate the availability of emergency (and regular) contraceptives and education.

When will you get it through your head that there are people in this state that don't believe sex for reasons other than procreation is evil? If you ban abortions, the rape victim can terminate the pregnancy that would result in her bearing the child of her attacker. If abortions are legal, your wife can still have the child you two have been waiting for. Which one sounds more like "America, Land of the Free"?

I understand the issue is more complex than this, especially in regards to minors, etc. To be honest, I have digressed a bit. My initial concern is the fact that a special session, which costs the state more money, has been called to make sure the special interest groups are appeased. I wonder if I can get them to listen to my special interest group if I tell them (and I'm probably lying) that I'm a "God-fearing Christian" (and a white male) who stands for "values" and has millions of dollars to give. I wonder if they'll continue to listen when I tell them my group's interest is to for all legislaters with an 'R' after their name to attend all sessions strung up by their big toes...

No comments: