Friday, June 03, 2005

Don't like me? You are therefore wrong!

I am an avid watcher of the Daily Show. In fact, it is probably my primary source of news since I don't listen to the radio or watch the news on TV on an everyday basis (I check the newspaper the most often). Maybe that's sad, or maybe it's a sign that I just like stuff that's funny and/or ironic. Anyway, I am digressing from my original thought...

On the Daily Show last night, they had a segment about how Amnesty International reported on alleged prisoner abuses at Guantanamo Bay. They then showed the President, Vice President, Secretary of Defense, and a high-ranking general speaking out against AI's report. One thing really stuck with me though. It was when Rumsfeld stated that because of what AI reported, they can no longer be considered a credible source of information (the funny and ironic part was showing Rummy citing information from AI a couple years ago). So what's the big issue behind what Rummy said? Basically, his comment stated that if you don't agree with, support, and speak only nice things about the Bush Administration and their deeds, you are not a credible source of information. In short, only listen to those who speak nice about Bushco.

Freedom of speech, my ass. It's more like our country is being turned into one big biography, scripted by Bushco. Even if you have evidence that events transpired differently than his script states, if he doesn't like it, it didn't happen.

1 comment:

carrie said...

i have a button that says, "you never ask my opinion when i'm right."